March 13, 2020
Severns Valley Baptist Church Will Be Broadcasting Live Services Via Cable, Online and Radio Only This Coming Sunday.
Dear Severns Valley Family,
It's sure been a week. Late Wednesday night we left meetings with our church leadership feeling good about our decision to continue services and activities as usual. What a difference 24hrs can make. We want to thank you for being patient as we consider all the ramifications of staying open and in cancelling our Worship Services, Small Groups, and mid-week programming. Your prayers for us as we make these decisions is greatly appreciated. This is not something we take lightly.
Wednesday night the Church Council identified some "triggers" that if they happened, would cause us to take a different course of action. We've learned quite a bit more about how the virus is spreading across our state. Also, we're taking into account the increasing number of confirmed cases of the virus.
Due to some of our identified "triggers" happening, and what we have learned, we are canceling all Worship Services, Small Groups and all mid-week programming held at Severns Valley beginning tomorrow, Friday, March 13 at 5pm through next Friday. We believe doing this in cooperation with local schools and other churches, we are taking a loving step towards the hopeful curbing of this virus. We will continue to monitor and evaluate whether to continue the cancelation or stop it on a week to week basis. To the best of our ability, we will keep you notified of any changes through our website, email, phone calls and social media.
Severns Valley Live
We will be broadcasting our Sunday Worship Services at 9 and 10:45am We are very thankful for our ability to broadcast these services via these sources:
- Local Cable: BBTEL Ch 1; Comcast Ch 2 / Charter Ch 184
- Online. sv.church/live
- Radio: 98.3 WQXE (9am service only)
We encourage everyone to take these precautions to Protect Yourself from Coronavirus:
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
We encourage everyone to take these precautions to Protect Others from Coronavirus:
Stay home if you are sick
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
Cover coughs and sneezes
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Three ways you can help:
1. Pray - Pray for those impacted by the virus, their families and loved ones, as well as those who are caring for and treating them.
2. Give - If you're a regular giver at Severns Valley, please continue to give by mailing in your tithe/offering, dropping it by the church office or by giving online. Your continued generosity is a vital resource that enables us to continue our Gospel-mission on a weekly basis.
3. Serve - We are looking for ways we can serve our community during this time of need. We will continue to update you on these opportunities as they present themselves. We do need help in keeping our church campus clean. If you are able to help clean during the week, at any time, please email email@example.com and we will help you find a time and place to serve.
While we cannot control the virus, we must remember that God has not called us to live in fear but in faith. As the apostle Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 1:7, "For the Spirit of God does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline." Our prayer is that God will fill all of us with these three gifts, no matter what comes our way.
It's times like this when God stirs the hearts of those who don't know Him. We want to be available and ready to share the Gospel to those whom God is speaking. Please be sensitive to those you know and reach out to those who are sick. Let's be The Church and show our community how much we: Love God | Love People | Make Disciples.
Your Church Council and Staff